max potential

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ami_Pant_4G

max potential

Postby Ami_Pant_4G » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:45 pm

Can someone please explain the statement max potential is reached when there is very little current flow? (this is from my notes, so I could have written is down wrong) Thanks in advance.

Paige Lee 1A

Re: max potential

Postby Paige Lee 1A » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:49 pm

Maximum potential difference occurs when very little current flows. As the current approaches 0, the maximum potential difference converges to E (electromotive force of cell)

Matt F

Postby Matt F » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:52 pm

The way I thought of it was similar to potential and kinetic energy. When there is no movement/work done, potential energy is at a max and kinetic energy is 0. However, once something happens, potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, therefore being used and not staying at a maximum. Similarly, when there is current flowing, the cell potential in the cathode is decreasing as it flows as a current. Therefore, when there is no current flowing (or as it approaches 0), the potential difference will be at a maximum as it will be stored rather than used

DHavo_1E

Postby DHavo_1E » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:28 pm

Hello,

Is there a difference between max potential and cell potential? Is the max potential describing the cell as well? Thank you!

Vinita Saxena 2I

Postby Vinita Saxena 2I » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:27 pm

The cell potential is different at each time after you flip the switch because the battery is slowly dying/reaching equilibrium. Because of this, it is not at max potential anymore. Max potential is right before you flip the switch because the battery is building up, and then once you flip the switch it drains.

Return to “Work, Gibbs Free Energy, Cell (Redox) Potentials”