Standard Cell Potential

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ryan Aung 2I

Standard Cell Potential

Postby Ryan Aung 2I » Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:49 pm

Why is the standard cell potential of a concentration cell always equal to 0?

Reet Padda 1C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Standard Cell Potential

Postby Reet Padda 1C » Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:17 pm

In a concentration cell, the two concentrations of the solutions are the same because the same solution is on both sides of the porous disk, and as such, both sides contain cations AND anions. Therefore, there is no electron flow between the sides because the concentrations of cations and anions are the same. When the cell potential is then measured at standard conditions, the Eocell is going to be equal to zero because of the lack of electron movement.

Dylan Do

Postby Dylan Do » Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:17 pm

Because adding the standard cell potentials for anodes and cathodes equal to zero.

Daniella Viorato 2G

Postby Daniella Viorato 2G » Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:34 pm

It is good to know the SCP for anodes and cathodes cancel each other out, making the SCP 0.

Christopher Lai 2I

Postby Christopher Lai 2I » Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:02 am

The standard cell potential can be described via the equation E0cell = E0cathode - E0anode. Since both half cells have the same electrode, the potential of the cathode and anode will have the same magnitude but opposite signs. As a result, the net potential difference between the two half-cells will be zero, thus, the standard cell potential will be zero.

Return to “Appications of the Nernst Equation (e.g., Concentration Cells, Non-Standard Cell Potentials, Calculating Equilibrium Constants and pH)”