Glass Electrode vs. Hydrogen Electrode

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ava Harvey 2B

Glass Electrode vs. Hydrogen Electrode

Postby Ava Harvey 2B » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:46 am

The book mentioned that a glass electrode is much easier to use than a hydrogen electrode, however, it didn't really provide an explanation as to why this was the case and so I was a little confused. If someone doesn't mind explaining to me, as well as what the difference between the two is, that would be great! Thanks so much!

Sarah_Stay_1D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Glass Electrode vs. Hydrogen Electrode

Postby Sarah_Stay_1D » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:30 pm

Ava Harvey 2B wrote:The book mentioned that a glass electrode is much easier to use than a hydrogen electrode, however, it didn't really provide an explanation as to why this was the case and so I was a little confused. If someone doesn't mind explaining to me, as well as what the difference between the two is, that would be great! Thanks so much!

A hydrogen electrode is a standard electrode that uses hydrogen ions and chemists use it as a baseline of sorts. The value of the standard hydrogen electrode potential in 0, so all other cell potentials are measured against it.

A glass electrode is an electrode that is specific to certain ions. A pH meter is an example of a glass electrode because it is sensitive to hydrogen ions.

Return to “Appications of the Nernst Equation (e.g., Concentration Cells, Non-Standard Cell Potentials, Calculating Equilibrium Constants and pH)”