Nernst equation usage

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

JennyCKim1J

Nernst equation usage

Postby JennyCKim1J » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:17 pm

Is Nernst equation simply used to find cell potential under non-standard conditions (not 1M)? I'm confused b/c there are different Nernst equations and I think one of them's supposed to be use to calculate k for redox reactions at equilibrium.

Daniisaacson2F

Re: Nernst equation usage

Postby Daniisaacson2F » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:25 pm

Yes, you use it under nonstandard conditions, such as a change in the molarities (not 1M like you said), a different temperature, pressure, etc.

Sarkis Sislyan 1D

Postby Sarkis Sislyan 1D » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:48 pm

The Nernst equation is used when finding the E under non-standard conditions. There are multiple versions of the equation, but they all mean the same thing and can be used interchangeably. I believe the equation you are talking about is E°=(RTlnK)/nF, which is pretty much the same thing again. This one can be derived by combining (delta)G°=-nfE° and (delta)G°=-RTlnK into nfE°=RTlnK and separating E°.

Elizabeth Bamishaye 2I

Postby Elizabeth Bamishaye 2I » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:42 pm

Sarkis Sislyan 1D wrote:The Nernst equation is used when finding the E under non-standard conditions. There are multiple versions of the equation, but they all mean the same thing and can be used interchangeably. I believe the equation you are talking about is E°=(RTlnK)/nF, which is pretty much the same thing again. This one can be derived by combining (delta)G°=-nfE° and (delta)G°=-RTlnK into nfE°=RTlnK and separating E°.

I agree with this explanation!

Return to “Appications of the Nernst Equation (e.g., Concentration Cells, Non-Standard Cell Potentials, Calculating Equilibrium Constants and pH)”