anode vs cathode in non standard cell diagram

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Lucia H 2L
Been upvoted: 1 time

anode vs cathode in non standard cell diagram

Postby Lucia H 2L » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:17 pm

In a cell diagram, is the anode always on the left and the cathode on the right? Is this only the case for galvanic cells? For the nernst equation problems, it has us choose which one is the anode based on the absolute value of Eo for the half reaction...does this mean that sometimes the cathode is on the left?

David Minasyan 1C

Re: anode vs cathode in non standard cell diagram

Postby David Minasyan 1C » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:30 pm

As far as I know, the anode is always on the left. I haven't seen it on the right - not yet at least.

Gurshaan Nagra 2F

Postby Gurshaan Nagra 2F » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:35 pm

Its usually set up for the anode on the left and cathode on the right, but its good to know that oxidation occurs at the anode and reduction occurs at the cathode if they try to flip it around

RussellChin_3A

Postby RussellChin_3A » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:29 pm

Usually the anode is always on the left. If you aren't sure you can just look at both of the half reactions to determine which half reaction is the oxidation reaction and which is the reduction reaction.

Max Mazo 2C

Postby Max Mazo 2C » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:50 pm

The anode is usually on the left but if you're not sure you can just check which has the higher Eo value

Alex Nechaev 1I

Postby Alex Nechaev 1I » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:18 pm

The anode is usually on the left for our purposes, and they probably will not switch it up since we haven't seen any examples in class or on homework proving otherwise.

Return to “Appications of the Nernst Equation (e.g., Concentration Cells, Non-Standard Cell Potentials, Calculating Equilibrium Constants and pH)”