Concentration cells  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Lindsay H 2B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Concentration cells

Postby Lindsay H 2B » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:17 pm

can someone explain the overall function of concentration cells? I'm having trouble with the very first question on Lyndon's (UA) practice midterm. How does the electron transfer occur?

ZoeHahn1J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Concentration cells  [ENDORSED]

Postby ZoeHahn1J » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:59 pm

A concentration cell is just a galvanic cell, but the two electrodes are the same, just at different concentrations. Voltage is created as the concentration difference between the left side solution and right side solution decreases. In order for the less concentrated side to get more concentrated, copper will have to give up electrons to become Cu 2+ and go into the solution, raising the concentration of the solution. In order for the more concentrated side to get less concentrated, Cu 2+ in solution will have to pick up electrons to precipitate out as Cu. Electrons will move from the side with a lower concentration to the side with the higher concentration to make this occur.
I had trouble with this too! If you'd like an example, I used this khanacademy video for help with concentration cells: https://www.khanacademy.org/science/che ... ation-cell
Hope this helps!

Return to “Appications of the Nernst Equation (e.g., Concentration Cells, Non-Standard Cell Potentials, Calculating Equilibrium Constants and pH)”