6th edition, 14.55

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Hai-Lin Yeh 1J
Been upvoted: 1 time

6th edition, 14.55

Postby Hai-Lin Yeh 1J » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:00 pm

A 1.0 m NiSO4(aq) solution was electrolyzed by using inert electrodes. Write (a) the cathode reaction; (b) the anode reaction. (c) With no overpotential or passivity at the electrodes, what is the minimum potential that must be supplied to the cell for the onset of electrolysis?

I'm not sure how the solutions manual got the cathode and anode reaction just from being given NiSO4. For example, where did the SO4 go and why did we use the reaction for 2H2O? Also, can someone explain the "strategy" in the solutions manual more clearly?

Griffin Carter 2I

Re: 6th edition, 14.55

Postby Griffin Carter 2I » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:11 pm

So we can assume that Ni is going to be formed at the cathode because that is the only substance that would form a solid via electrolysis in this reaction. However, the book uses the oxidation of water at the anode because it has a more negative standard E potential than the SO4- standard potential. This more negative value should be used because it has lower energy requirements to oxidize.

Hai-Lin Yeh 1J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: 6th edition, 14.55

Postby Hai-Lin Yeh 1J » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:16 pm

What do you mean by it has lower energy requirements to oxidize?

Return to “Appications of the Nernst Equation (e.g., Concentration Cells, Non-Standard Cell Potentials, Calculating Equilibrium Constants and pH)”