Concentration effect on E

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ryan Yoon 1L

Concentration effect on E

Postby Ryan Yoon 1L » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:05 am

Why is that if you increase the concentration of product, E is smaller than E standard?

Rita Chen 1B

Re: Concentration effect on E

Postby Rita Chen 1B » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:36 am

I think it depends on the reaction? I could be wrong, but in Dr. Lavelle's example today, the increasing in Mn concentration, caused the forward reaction to be favored, making E increase since the E standard was positive. I think it depends what you increase in concentration.

Alice Chang 2H

Postby Alice Chang 2H » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:38 pm

I think it's similar to the concepts of Le Chatelier's Principles.

This website talks a bit about it with a worked example: https://www.mikeblaber.org/oldwine/chm1046/notes/Electro/Conc/Conc.htm

PranaviKolla2B

Postby PranaviKolla2B » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:40 pm

Could someone explain what exactly E is?

Emily Chirila 2E

Postby Emily Chirila 2E » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:47 pm

If you increase the concentration of the product > 1.0M, we get a larger value of Q (CONCENTRATIONproducts/CONTENTRATIONreactants) which is used in the equation:

E= E(standard conditions) - (RT/nF(lnQ))

Taking the ln of a Q that is more than 1 gives a positive number for lnQ, which is being subtracted from E(standard conditions), thus giving a smaller Ecell value in comparison to E(standard conditions)

If you were increasing concentration of reactants > 1.0M, you would end up with a Q that is less than 1, resulting in a negative value for lnQ. This changes the subtraction to addition and you end up getting a value for Ecell that is larger than E(standard conditions)

Return to “Appications of the Nernst Equation (e.g., Concentration Cells, Non-Standard Cell Potentials, Calculating Equilibrium Constants and pH)”