Nernst Equation and Le Chatelier's Principle

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Charisse Vu 1H

Nernst Equation and Le Chatelier's Principle

Postby Charisse Vu 1H » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:13 pm

Can someone summarize how le chatelier's principle and the nernst equation are related?

Christine Honda 2I

Re: Nernst Equation and Le Chatelier's Principle

Postby Christine Honda 2I » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:36 pm

Using Le Chatelier's principle which takes into account the increase in either products or reactants concentrations, the Ecell will either decrease or increase. If the concentrations of the reactants are increased, then Ecell will be greater than Estandard. If the concentrations of the products are increased, then Ecell will be less than Estandard. Because both Ecell and Estardard are in the Nernst equation, the change in concentration will affect the result.

Rory Simpson 2F

Postby Rory Simpson 2F » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:36 pm

Basically, the cell potential of a given reaction is dependent on the concentrations on the species in the reaction. At equilibrium in a reaction, the cell potential is zero because the reaction no longer does any work. The Nernst equation gives a quantitative answer as to how different concentrations affect the cell potential (because of lnQ in the equation), similar to Le Chatelier's Principle of concentrations affecting the direction of the reaction.

Shutong Hou_1F

Postby Shutong Hou_1F » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:29 pm

I think that Nernst Equation and Le Chaterlier's Principle support each other. According to Le Chatelier's Principle, the cell potential should change in corresponding ways when concentrations change in specific ways. Supportively, by manipulating variables in known equation, the Nernst Equation is derived, revealing that prediction based on Le Chatelier's Principle is correct.

Return to “Appications of the Nernst Equation (e.g., Concentration Cells, Non-Standard Cell Potentials, Calculating Equilibrium Constants and pH)”