Pt(s) use

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Abigail Sanders 1E

Pt(s) use

Postby Abigail Sanders 1E » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:00 pm

Can anyone explain which cell diagrams/reactions include Pt(s) as an inert electrode vs when it is incorrect to include it in the cell diagram? Also, what are the other types of electrodes that can be used and when are these used?

Michael Nguyen 1E

Re: Pt(s) use

Postby Michael Nguyen 1E » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:27 pm

A platinum electrode is needed when there is no solid metal conductor as an electrode already present. If there are already a metal anode and a metal cathode, then the platinum electrode is unnecessary. Whenever an inert electrode is needed, it is usually the platinum electrode, and I am unsure if there are other suitable ones.

Kristina Rizo 2K

Postby Kristina Rizo 2K » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:16 pm

Michael Nguyen 1E wrote:A platinum electrode is needed when there is no solid metal conductor as an electrode already present. If there are already a metal anode and a metal cathode, then the platinum electrode is unnecessary. Whenever an inert electrode is needed, it is usually the platinum electrode, and I am unsure if there are other suitable ones.

Graphite is another acceptable inert electrode.

Kayli Choy 2F

Postby Kayli Choy 2F » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:22 pm

If you have a half-reaction and both the products and reactants are aqueous, then you would need a platinum electrode.

Abby Soriano 1J

Postby Abby Soriano 1J » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:41 pm

If there is not already a conducting solid present in the reaction, then an inert conductor (like platinum) can be used as an electrode to transfer electrons between the half-reactions of the cell.

Altamash Mahsud 1I

Postby Altamash Mahsud 1I » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:58 pm

A platinum electrode is used when the reaction that is being studied in the cell does not have a metal that can conduct electricity and transfer the electrons from one side of the cell to the other. You would not need the platinum electrode when you have a reaction taking place that has the metal electrode take part in the reaction (for example: when solid copper metal is being oxidized to create copper ions in solution ----> in this case the electrode being used is the copper metal, which transfers the electrons from the oxidation reaction of the copper to the other side of the cell.)

Return to “Appications of the Nernst Equation (e.g., Concentration Cells, Non-Standard Cell Potentials, Calculating Equilibrium Constants and pH)”