Why don't you have to convert pressure into concentration when doing lnQ?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Skyllar Kuppinger 1F

Why don't you have to convert pressure into concentration when doing lnQ?

Postby Skyllar Kuppinger 1F » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:22 pm

How can you have a Q value that contains both pressure and concentration?. I've been converting the pressures to concentrations this whole time Bc I thought you had to make it uniform , and didn't know why I was getting it wrong until someone sent me their solutions manual.
Attachments
E67762DE-1D18-4C30-ACBB-5BBA5FCAF761.jpeg

Kaylee Sepulveda 4G

Re: Why don't you have to convert pressure into concentration when doing lnQ?

Postby Kaylee Sepulveda 4G » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:39 pm

Unless it specifically asks for Qp or Qc, I don't think you need to convert anything. And typically you're going to be given partial pressures for gases and concentrations for aqueous solutions, which I believe was the case in the problem you provided as an example.

Anish Natarajan 4G

Postby Anish Natarajan 4G » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:54 pm

I believe it was mentioned in our discussion section that the ratios are going to be the same (although I could be wrong on this)

Skyllar Kuppinger 1F

Postby Skyllar Kuppinger 1F » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:33 pm

Kaylee Sepulveda 4G wrote:Unless it specifically asks for Qp or Qc, I don't think you need to convert anything. And typically you're going to be given partial pressures for gases and concentrations for aqueous solutions, which I believe was the case in the problem you provided as an example.

Right but you can convert partial pressure into concentration by using pv=nRT. But I guess you don't have to

Return to “Appications of the Nernst Equation (e.g., Concentration Cells, Non-Standard Cell Potentials, Calculating Equilibrium Constants and pH)”