Concentration cells

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

nshahwan 1L

Concentration cells

Postby nshahwan 1L » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:02 am

On test 2 someone explained to me that on one of the questions you had to know your solubility rules but I don't remember any of that so does anyone have a good source where I could learn them?

Brian_Ho_2B

Re: Concentration cells

Postby Brian_Ho_2B » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:22 am

Solubility rules are not covered in any of the outlines nor do I think they were required for Test 2. However, if you do want to learn about them, I believe it is section 6I of the textbook that covers it.

Kishan Shah 2G

Postby Kishan Shah 2G » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:24 am

I don't remember there being a question where you had to utilize solubility rules. I think for concentration cells there was a HW problem that said if you change one of the ions in your salt bridge what would happen, and I think you were chagning NO3- to Cl- and if PbCl2 forms its insoluble so the salt bridge cannot perform its function. However I don't think we are required to know the rules off the top of our heads.

Robin Cadd 1D

Postby Robin Cadd 1D » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:38 am

nshahwan 1L wrote:On test 2 someone explained to me that on one of the questions you had to know your solubility rules but I don't remember any of that so does anyone have a good source where I could learn them?

I don’t think you needed to know solubility rules for this exam; however, you did need to be able to predict if a metal would dissolve in solution. This is determined by calculating the Ecell of the reaction involving the dissolving of said metal. If Ecell is positive, the metal dissolves in solution.

Justin Sarquiz 2F

Postby Justin Sarquiz 2F » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:42 am

If this showed up on the final, the question would tell you that a precipitate would form and ask why. And you would need to know that there are other reactions taking place. But the question is not going to ask you to determine if a precipitate will form.

Return to “Appications of the Nernst Equation (e.g., Concentration Cells, Non-Standard Cell Potentials, Calculating Equilibrium Constants and pH)”