predicting potentials of cells from a cell diagram

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kaylee Nezwek 1D
Been upvoted: 1 time

predicting potentials of cells from a cell diagram

Postby Kaylee Nezwek 1D » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:45 am

hey! for textbook question 6N #3, it asks to predict the potential of each cell.
part a.) Pt (s) | H2 (g, 1 bar) | HCl (aq, 0.075 M) || HCl (aq, 1 M) | H2 (g, 1 bar) | Pt (s)

In the solutions manual, they used these half-rxns:
2 H+ (aq, 1 M) + 2 e- --> H2 (g, 1 atm) and E(cathode) = 0 V
H2 (g, 1 atm) --> 2 H+ (aq, 0.075 M) + 2 e- and E(anode) = 0 V
E(cell) = 0 V

I'm really confused on why these were used as the half-rxns? Why is HCl not used?Also, then in solving for E, the work shows: E = 0 V - (0.02569 V / 2) * ln([H+, 0.075 M]^2 P(H2) / [H+, 1 M]^2 P(H2)). I'm also confused on the values used within the ln expression...

Can anyone explain why these half-rxns were used and why the values in the ln expression were used? Maybe I just don't know how to solve these types of problems, but I was really confused on how to approach the problem and how to interpret the solutions manual. Thanks!

Sara_Lim_2C

Re: predicting potentials of cells from a cell diagram

Postby Sara_Lim_2C » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:28 am

I'm not entirely sure, but I think because HCl is a strong acid, it fully dissociates in water (and since it's aqueous we know it's in water). So HCl in that cell diagram would basically be H+, and that's why the 2H+ half reaction is used. That was my assumption, but I'm not sure if that's the exact reason. Could anyone else confirm?

Return to “Appications of the Nernst Equation (e.g., Concentration Cells, Non-Standard Cell Potentials, Calculating Equilibrium Constants and pH)”