When to add Enaught of cell

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Nicole Huang 3F
Been upvoted: 1 time

When to add Enaught of cell

Postby Nicole Huang 3F » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:46 pm

Since Enaught is not a state function, it can't be additive when finding the Enaught for a half reaction (you would have to convert to deltaG first then add and convert back), but in redox reactions, you can add the two. Is it because you're adding half reactions to make the overall reaction that you can do so? I was wondering if I could get some clarity on when to add Enaughts and when not to. Thanks!

ALee_1J

Re: When to add Enaught of cell

Postby ALee_1J » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:31 pm

E naught is a state function? That's why it's capitalized? The only things we've learned that aren't state functions are heat (q) and work (w)? I'm not sure what you mean exactly.

Edit: I see what you mean. I did a little research and apparently E naught isn't a state function. Idk when you'd add and when you'd have to use delta G though. Brooke's workshop worksheet is the first time that I've seen something like that.

Mikayla Kwok 3K

Re: When to add Enaught of cell

Postby Mikayla Kwok 3K » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:43 am

You would have to convert the E naughts into delta Gs, add or subtract them (whichever the problem seems to call for), and then convert that final delta G back into an E naught value.

Return to “Appications of the Nernst Equation (e.g., Concentration Cells, Non-Standard Cell Potentials, Calculating Equilibrium Constants and pH)”