E naught in a Concentration Cell

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

KatarinaReid_3H
Been upvoted: 4 times

E naught in a Concentration Cell

Postby KatarinaReid_3H » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:46 pm

Why is E naught 0 in concentration cell because I thought that even though it is the same solution, the concentrations are still different? I thought in the equation Enaught Cell = RT(lnK)/nF, E naught only goes to 0 if K=1, which doesn't happen if the concentrations are different.

Kaihan_Danesh_2J

Re: E naught in a Concentration Cell

Postby Kaihan_Danesh_2J » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:49 pm

E naught is zero because E naught of the cathode minus E naught of the anode is zero since both sides of the battery use the same substance to conduct electricity. I'm not sure how to explain it using the formula you gave but that is the way I understand it. Also, E naught is a standard value and in this case the concentrations of the solutions are driving the movement of electrons, so it is not as if the battery does not work with a zero E naught.

Neel Bonthala 2G

Postby Neel Bonthala 2G » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:53 pm

Hey! well, you can't really use that equation for a concentration cell because you don't know K. You can't use the given concentrations for K, because it's not at equilibrium. The explanation given above is the reason why E nought is 0 for a concentration cell!

Simran Bains 2C

Postby Simran Bains 2C » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:15 pm

I believe that it's because it has the same substance on both sides.

Return to “Appications of the Nernst Equation (e.g., Concentration Cells, Non-Standard Cell Potentials, Calculating Equilibrium Constants and pH)”