Textbook 6.51

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Anjali Mani 2A

Textbook 6.51

Postby Anjali Mani 2A » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:38 pm

I am confused as to why the answer key says the current flows through the cell in the cathode to the anode direction. I thought that the anode was the site of oxidation as electrons are transferred from the anode to the cathode, which causes the cathode site to be reduced, and accordingly the current would flow from the anode to the cathode. I think I am likely interpreting the question incorrectly or not understanding the difference between electrical current and voltage. Any clarification would be helpful, thank you!

Re: Textbook 6.51

Postby 206031320 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:56 pm

Hi, you are right that electrons flow from the anode to the cathode. The answer is referring to the electrolytes, however, which is what the salt bridge's purpose is. When the electrons move from anode to cathode, there is a charge imbalance. That is why electrolytes, in this case, negative electrolytes or anions, flow the opposite direction (from cathode to anode), to make up for the charge imbalance of electrons transferring from anode to cathode. This is what ultimately allows the current of electrons to continue moving.

Return to “Interesting Applications: Rechargeable Batteries (Cell Phones, Notebooks, Cars), Fuel Cells (Space Shuttle), Photovoltaic Cells (Solar Panels), Electrolysis, Rust”