Textbook 6.73

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Michelle Jin 3L

Textbook 6.73

Postby Michelle Jin 3L » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:44 pm

Question 6.73 asks us to write the "aluminum-air fuel cell" redox half reactions when aluminum and oxygen react in basic solution, and I was wondering if we would have to do things similar to this on the final where we come up with reactions without being given like the actual molecules involved in the reaction? If so, what is a way to do so, because I struggle with coming up with the reaction when just given the names of the elements involved.

Aisah_Akbar_2C

Re: Textbook 6.73

Postby Aisah_Akbar_2C » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:03 pm

Understanding redox reactions and being able to write half-reactions from given elements or compounds is an important skill often tested in exams. To prepare, practice identifying the oxidation states of elements involved, recognizing common redox reactions, and applying principles of balancing charge and mass in reactions, which will help you generate reactions even when only given the names of the elements involved. My ta kept telling me at OH to really know what happens with oxidation and making assumptions when information is not gien so like how standard reduction if not given will be 0.

Return to “Interesting Applications: Rechargeable Batteries (Cell Phones, Notebooks, Cars), Fuel Cells (Space Shuttle), Photovoltaic Cells (Solar Panels), Electrolysis, Rust”