Ion-Selective Electrodes/finding pH

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Christina_F_3F

Ion-Selective Electrodes/finding pH

Postby Christina_F_3F » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:42 pm

Hi,
I'm still a little bit confused on what ion selective electrodes are and how they relate to the Nernst equation.
I'm also not sure how the pH of a solution may be determined from the Nernst equation.
Basically, the top half of page 54 in the course reader, the section titled "Applications of e- transfer reactions" is not making sense to me.
If anyone could provide any sort of clarification on either of these two topics I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you!

Christian Hardoy 3F

Re: Ion-Selective Electrodes/finding pH

Postby Christian Hardoy 3F » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:35 am

An ion-selective electrode is a sensor that allows one to measure ionic concentrations in aqueous solution. If you've ever seen a pH meter that you stick into a solution in high school chemistry, for example, that would be a common example of an ion-selective electrode. It allows you to measure the concentration of hydronium or H+ ions to determine a solution's pH.

As for determining pH from the Nernst equation, I would think that that would be achieved by solving for the [P] or [R] of a particular reaction to determine the concentration of H+, or something like that.

Hope this helps!

Christina_F_3F

Re: Ion-Selective Electrodes/finding pH

Postby Christina_F_3F » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:14 am

It does -- thanks!

Return to “Interesting Applications: Rechargeable Batteries (Cell Phones, Notebooks, Cars), Fuel Cells (Space Shuttle), Photovoltaic Cells (Solar Panels), Electrolysis, Rust”