Textbook Question 6.51

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ian_Lee_1E

Textbook Question 6.51

Postby Ian_Lee_1E » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:05 am

For this question the answer states

"A negatively charged electrolyte flows from the cathode to the anode."

First of all, I was confused to how electrolytes move. I realized that salt bridge is used to balance out the oxidated ions but I still didn't really get how the electrolytes flow

Second, what does it mean by "a galvanic cell functions only when the electrical circuit is complete?"

Third, "what is the different between "external circuit" and "internal circuit"? is it just the difference of salt bridge, which is the internal circuit, and voltage meter, which is the external?

I was generally confused to what the question was asking and how the salt bridge works along with the above questions

Sorry for the multiple questions in one post haha

Najia Saleem 2G

Re: Textbook Question 6.51

Postby Najia Saleem 2G » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:53 pm

Hello,

Professor Lavelle's lecture on 2/24 really helped me understand the concepts you are asking about. I have attached my notes from that lecture, but I highly recommend you go over the lecture video again because I can't explain it better than him!

Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 2.51.03 PM.png

Return to “Interesting Applications: Rechargeable Batteries (Cell Phones, Notebooks, Cars), Fuel Cells (Space Shuttle), Photovoltaic Cells (Solar Panels), Electrolysis, Rust”