Course Reader Example

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

samchung2f

Course Reader Example

Postby samchung2f » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:27 pm

In the course reader on page 57, it talks about the reaction of diamond being converted into graphite. Is it saying though that the reaction does not occur at all at 25 degrees Celsius and 1 atm or that it just occurs extremely slowly?

Jocelyn Sandoval 3B

Re: Course Reader Example

Postby Jocelyn Sandoval 3B » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:05 pm

It is saying that it does occur at 25 degrees celsius & 1 atm, but very slowly.

Martin_Sarafyan_2K

Postby Martin_Sarafyan_2K » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:55 pm

While graphite becoming diamond is spontaneous, it is still a endothermic process, while the energy at 25C and 1atm is very little, it will still form in a very very very slow manner just as the previous comment said. I think its just a matter of the first law of thermodynamics. I read something about it being metastable, but i dont really understand what that means.

Bronson_Barretto_2C

Postby Bronson_Barretto_2C » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:25 pm

I think Professor Lavelle went over this in class a couple lectures ago, but basically the reaction of diamond diminishing to graphite is a favorable process; and as such is spontaneous. The reason its almost physically impossible to occur at standard temperature and pressure is due to the reaction's activation energy. Since it's activation energy is so high, the process will only occur after many many many years, like the previous two comments stated.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 716 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:33 am

samchung2f wrote:In the course reader on page 57, it talks about the reaction of diamond being converted into graphite. Is it saying though that the reaction does not occur at all at 25 degrees Celsius and 1 atm or that it just occurs extremely slowly?

It does not occur.
People would not buy diamonds if it did.

Activation energy too high at room temp.

I'll discuss Ea and rate constant, k, in class soon.

Return to “Kinetics vs. Thermodynamics Controlling a Reaction”