Quiz 2 #9 and #10

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

JaeHoCho1B

Quiz 2 #9 and #10

Postby JaeHoCho1B » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:48 pm

Can anyone please explain question 9 and 10 for quiz 2? I am having a hard time understanding these questions.

nicoleclarke_lec1M

Re: Quiz 2 #9 and #10

Postby nicoleclarke_lec1M » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:11 pm

The reason that in #9 D is the answer is that not all proteins are enzymes. A is correct because an enzyme binds with a substrate in order to help catalyze the reaction. Therefore, when the amount of substrate is low, there aren't very many substrates for enzymes to bind with. When the concentration of substrate increases, the enzymes have more to bind with and can thus help catalyze the reaction. This makes the reaction rate faster. B is correct because when there are a ton of substrates, all that really matters is the amount of enzymes. If there are few enzymes they won't be able to help too much with catalyzing the reaction; so if there are a lot on enzymes the reaction will go quicker. C is correct because this is just a part of the definition of an enzyme. They are a type of protein.

#10 is false because the k values for the forward and reverse reactions differ. In the forward, the rate constant is k. In the reverse the rate constant is k'.

I could be completely wrong about this.. This is just how my thought process worked.

Rika Jitosho 2E

Postby Rika Jitosho 2E » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:06 pm

JaeHoCho1B wrote:Can anyone please explain question 9 and 10 for quiz 2? I am having a hard time understanding these questions.

There is also a helpful thread in the Announcements section titled "Quiz 2 Winter 2017" if you'd like to either verify that your answers are correct, or if you'd like to scroll through some of the posts by ChemMod or other peers that explain the answers to the questions you're asking about (in addition to other questions on the practice quiz as well).

Amber Duong 1B

Postby Amber Duong 1B » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:10 pm

For #10, I plugged in the concentrations into the 2nd order integrated rate law.
1/0.5= 1/1 + kt
1/0.25=1/0.5 +kt

These equations become...
1=kt and 2=kt which become...
1/k=t and 2/k=t.

Since k is the same for both rate laws, the t(time) will be different, so the answer is FALSE.

Return to “Kinetics vs. Thermodynamics Controlling a Reaction”