Kinetic vs. Thermodynamics

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Janice Xiao 1I

Kinetic vs. Thermodynamics

Postby Janice Xiao 1I » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:20 pm

How do you know if kinetics or thermodynamics is controlling a reaction?

Suchita 2I

Re: Kinetic vs. Thermodynamics

Postby Suchita 2I » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:25 pm

Reactions are controlled by both thermodynamics and kinetics. While thermodynamics determine the relative stability of the products with respect to the reactants (and therefore, the spontaneity of the reaction), the kinetics determine the rate of product formation.

miznaakbar
Been upvoted: 4 times

Postby miznaakbar » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:39 pm

To add to that, kinetics addresses the actual process/path of a reaction, which includes the rate, activation energy etc. Meanwhile, thermodynamics addresses the before and after states of a reaction, such as the change in free energy, spontaneity (whether or not a rxn will occur). So thermodynamics is linked to stability and kinetics is linked to reactivity.

SPandya1F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby SPandya1F » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:56 pm

A kinetic product is one that forms the fastest as the product is associated with the lowest energy barrier to its formation. At low temperatures, the reaction is under kinetic control (rate, irreversible conditions) and the major product is that from fastest reaction.
A thermodynamic product is one that is the most stable with the lowest energy. At high temperatures, the reaction is under thermodynamic control (equilibrium, reversible conditions) and the major product is the more stable system.

Return to “Kinetics vs. Thermodynamics Controlling a Reaction”