Purpose of Kinetics

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Schuyler_Howell_4D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Purpose of Kinetics

Postby Schuyler_Howell_4D » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:33 pm

Okay, I know this is a pretty basic question but, I think it is the source of all my confusion. What is kinetics used for and why do we care? I get that it has to do with reaction rates but are we just finding how different variables affect the reaction?

Yousif Jafar 1G

Re: Purpose of Kinetics

Postby Yousif Jafar 1G » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:43 pm

Yeah so pretty much kinetics that we cover attempts to evaluate how different factors such as temperature and concentration affect our reaction rate, and we will probably use this information in 14BL as we conduct different labs.

chrisavalos-2L

Postby chrisavalos-2L » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:17 pm

I think that we care about the kinetics in a reaction because we are hoping to understand, like you said, how different variables affect the reaction rate, so we are probably going to be analyzing the effects in the change of the variable and how this changes the overall rate and how this would affect the reaction in the real world.

sallina_yehdego 2E

Postby sallina_yehdego 2E » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:25 pm

The purpose of kinetics is to see what various substances affects the rate of the reaction and how fast the reactants are turned into products. So basically what you pretty much got it.

Vanadium Wang 4H

Postby Vanadium Wang 4H » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:17 pm

Kinetics is the measurement of how quickly reactions occur. If changes in conditions affect the speed of reaction, we can learn something about how the reaction happens. Kinetic studies are important in understanding reactions, and they also have practical implications. By understanding how a reaction takes place, many processes can be improved. Not only are kinetic studies important in industry, but they are also used to understand biological processes, especially enzyme-catalyzed reactions.

JadeSebti1L

Postby JadeSebti1L » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:25 pm

Kinetics is the study of the rate of reactions which can be useful in studying enzymes, drugs, and so many other types of chemical reactions. Kinetics are especially applicable to biology because the infinite number of chemical reactions that happen in biological systems are all in an effort to maintain homeostasis. Basically, kinetics is able to link small applications of chemistry to larger applications in biology and the healthcare field.

Fanny Lee 2K

Postby Fanny Lee 2K » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:19 pm

Before, we studied thermodynamics which tell us which way a reaction would occur in and its spontaneity. Thermodynamics is the study of energy--does not tell us how fast or slow a reaction is occurring. However with kinetics, it is the study of the rate of reaction.

Return to “Kinetics vs. Thermodynamics Controlling a Reaction”