Non-Spontaneous

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Claudeth Martinez 1D

Non-Spontaneous

Postby Claudeth Martinez 1D » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:22 pm

Do electrolytic cells usually help drive a non-spontaneous redox reaction?

Sarah Zhao 4C

Re: Non-Spontaneous

Postby Sarah Zhao 4C » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:25 pm

Electrolytic cells just mean that electrolysis is occurring in that cell. The cell overall is a non-spontaneous reaction being driven to perform via an outside voltage.
If anything, I would say that galvanic cells can power electrolytic cells, thus helping to drive a non-spontaneous reaction

sophiebillings1E

Postby sophiebillings1E » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:55 pm

Non-spontaneous reactions because they are adding energy to perform the reaction

Michael Torres 4I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Michael Torres 4I » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:29 pm

Electrolytic cells generally have their own spontaneous reaction that would occur if an external voltage were not applied to them. However, when a voltage is applied that provides a greater potential difference in what was previously the non-spontaneous direction, electrolysis occurs and what was previously a non-spontaneous reaction becomes spontaneous.

The seventh edition specifically states that a rechargeable battery functions as a galvanic cell when doing work and as an electrolytic cell when being charged.

Therefore, it is not the electrolytic cell itself which helps perform the reverse, nonspontaneous reaction. Rather, it is the external voltage applied that helps.

Return to “Kinetics vs. Thermodynamics Controlling a Reaction”