Collision Theory and Transition State Theory

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jielena_Bragasin2G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Collision Theory and Transition State Theory

Postby Jielena_Bragasin2G » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:33 pm

Can someone please explain these two theories and do we need to know them mathematically?

Kimberly Koo 2I

Re: Collision Theory and Transition State Theory

Postby Kimberly Koo 2I » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:43 pm

Collision theory states that in order for a reaction to occur, the molecules participating must collide with each other. The rate of the reaction depends on the frequency of the collisions. Transition state theory regards chemical reactions as a continuous change in the relative positions of molecules and their potential energies and explains the rate of a chemical reaction by assuming that there is a special kind of chemical equilibrium (quasi-state) between reactants in the reaction and their activated state.

Nick Lewis 4F

Re: Collision Theory and Transition State Theory

Postby Nick Lewis 4F » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:30 pm

If the rate of reaction only depends on how frequently the molecules collide with each other, then what is the point in differentiating zero, first, and second order reactions? My logic here is are these categorizations ways of labelling higher probability zones that they will collide more? Its hard to describe but how can you predict how frequently they will collide? Cause i thought it was only dependent on temperature

Return to “Kinetics vs. Thermodynamics Controlling a Reaction”