Kinetics

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Renee Grange 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Kinetics

Postby Renee Grange 1I » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:24 am

What is the difference between kinetically and thermodynamically controlled?

Tauhid Islam- 1H

Re: Kinetics

Postby Tauhid Islam- 1H » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:45 am

From my understanding, a reaction is determined by either the thermodynamic properties of the products or the kinetic factors or the rate of product formation. When the temperate is low, there is only enough energy to get past a small activation energy barrier until the reaction proceeds to the right to form the products, on the other hand, when the temperature is high, the reactants can get past a higher activation energy barrier, therefore molecules that are more stable (less energy) can be formed. If a reaction is kinetically controlled, that means generally, the temperature is low so the reaction is not controlled by thermodynamic properties but by the kinetics or by the rate of products that can be formed. On the other hand, if a reaction is thermodynamically controlled, the reaction is controlled by the thermodynamic properties of the reaction, and that dictation generally happens at higher temperatures.

Bella Townsend

Re: Kinetics

Postby Bella Townsend » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:37 pm

In general short reactions favor kinetic control, while long reactions favor thermodynamic control.

Return to “Kinetics vs. Thermodynamics Controlling a Reaction”