Kinetics and Gibbs Free Energy

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

YuditGaribay3J

Kinetics and Gibbs Free Energy

Postby YuditGaribay3J » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:33 am

I was confused as to how kinetics and Gibbs free energy are connected? It goes back to Thermodynamics but I'm still confused as to how they're connected?

Andreas Krumbein 1L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Kinetics and Gibbs Free Energy

Postby Andreas Krumbein 1L » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:10 am

Technically deltaG and kinetics are only tacitly connected, since gibbs free energy only determines whether a reaction is thermodynamically favorable, and not kinetically favorable. For example the transition of Carbon in diamond form to Carbon in graphite form is thermodynamically favorable since deltaG = -3kj, but the reaction is not kinetically favorable so we use reaction rates to do any mathematical analysis on this reaction. So for all intents and purposes, free energy isn't actually directly connected to kinetics.

Sharon Kim 2A

Postby Sharon Kim 2A » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:27 am

In a way they are connected but I remember Lavelle talking about the differences more. In thermo, this will tell us if the reaction is favorable or not. While in kinetics, it will tell us how fast the reaction is going.

Rachael Cohen 3G

Postby Rachael Cohen 3G » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:36 am

I don't think Gibbs Free Energy is connected very closely to the kinetics we learned in this course. It is connected to electrochemistry though.

Return to “Kinetics vs. Thermodynamics Controlling a Reaction”