products in rate law equation

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ariana de Souza 4C

products in rate law equation

Postby Ariana de Souza 4C » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:40 pm

Hey guys
in the course reader on page 60, it says that we're only going to be focusing on initial rates that are a function of only reactant concentration. but in the textbook, on page 621, it says that rate laws may depend on the concentrations of prouctsa s well as those of reactants. It uses O3 --> O2 as an example, and the rate law is k * ([O3]^2/ [O2]).
Should we be concerned about these reactions for the quiz?

Abbas_Hakim_1B

Re: products in rate law equation

Postby Abbas_Hakim_1B » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:04 pm

I don't think so. The course reader also states that the products should also be removed continuously to keep the product concentration low so that it doesn't affect rate equation. Hope this helps!

Riley Seid 1L

Postby Riley Seid 1L » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:40 pm

And if we do end up needing those more specific formulas/values, I believe they will be provided, similarly to constants or tabular data.

Cris-1C

Postby Cris-1C » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:42 pm

I'm pretty sure that if the course reader does not cover it, then we are not expected to know other than what Lavelle mentions in class. Therefore, since the course reader does say that only reactants will be covered in an an attempt to make the rate laws much simpler, then I believe we need not worry about any diversions involved in the textbook.

Cayla_Brooks_1I

Postby Cayla_Brooks_1I » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:59 pm

If we balance a rate law equation and end up with fraction coefficients, is there another way to solve the problem and find the error without plotting/graphing?

Return to “General Rate Laws”