Rate Constant K  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Irma Ramos 2I

Rate Constant K

Postby Irma Ramos 2I » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:10 pm

What exactly does it mean when it says that the rate constant K depends on temperature and activation energy??

Alvin Tran 2E

Re: Rate Constant K

Postby Alvin Tran 2E » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:15 pm

The value of the rate constant K varies depending on the temperature and activation energy which can be seen through the Arrhenius equation. For example, raising the temperature of the reaction will increase the value of the rate constant K and therefore increase the speed at which the reaction is occurring.

Angel Gomez 1K

Postby Angel Gomez 1K » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:01 pm

You say that k varies depending on activation energy and temperature, but how exactly would we go about calculating the value of k?

Lindsay Kester 2L

Postby Lindsay Kester 2L » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:46 pm

Essentially, at different temperatures and activation energies, K changes. You calculate it the same way, using concentrations, but you're going to get a different value at different states. We don't have a way to calculate new K's based on old ones yet, but we might learn one.

Leah Thomas 2E

Re: Rate Constant K  [ENDORSED]

Postby Leah Thomas 2E » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:44 pm

K constant just describes how fast a reaction can occur. The only way to speed up a reaction is to change the amount of energy input as in raise its temperature or lower the activation energy needed, I. E. Add a catalyst perhaps.

Return to “General Rate Laws”