Reaction Rate

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Andy Liao 1B

Reaction Rate

Postby Andy Liao 1B » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:20 pm

I was wondering what the statement "the reaction rate only depends on [R], the concentration of the reactant" means. Can someone please explain? I thought the reaction rate also depends on factors such as the rate constant k and the activation energy.

Maria Bajenov 1I

Re: Reaction Rate

Postby Maria Bajenov 1I » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:34 pm

I think it means to only look at reactants at the start of the reaction (initial rate). Why does the reaction rate depend only on concentration of reactants, but the reaction rate can be set equal to products as well? How is it allowed to just focus on initial rate of reactants?

Nhan Nguyen 2F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Nhan Nguyen 2F » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:52 pm

The reaction rate depends only on concentration of reactants because the initial rate is the maximum rate where few products are being produced (it's easier to study only the forward/irreversible reaction)
Also note that the rate of reaction depends on: constant k, concentration of Reactants, and order of Reactants.

Michelle Lee 2E

Postby Michelle Lee 2E » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:25 pm

Since we're only focusing on the initial rate when we're thinking of kinetics, this is where little to no product has been formed. With such little product, finding the maximum rate possible is difficult (even though we're given the rate equation through product concentration.

Return to “General Rate Laws”