Differential and Integrated Rate Laws

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ju-Wei Wang 1I

Differential and Integrated Rate Laws

Postby Ju-Wei Wang 1I » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:24 pm

How do you know when to use a differential rate law versus an integrated rate law? Are there specific things you can look for in the question that direct you to use a certain equation over the other?

Samantha Joseph 1F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Differential and Integrated Rate Laws

Postby Samantha Joseph 1F » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:31 pm

The main difference between differential and integrated rate laws are that differential rate laws are used to describe a reaction rate as a function of the change in concentration over a time period, whereas integrate rate laws show the initial and actual concentration values after a period of time. For example, the differential law means rate = -d[A]/dt, showing that the change in value needs to be provided to answer the question. For integrated (example when n=1), ln[A] = -kt + ln[A0], so you need to know t and the initial and/or final concentration values.

Ridhi Ravichandran 1E

Postby Ridhi Ravichandran 1E » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:36 pm

You use integrated rate laws when you need to find the time or final/initial concentrations. Most problems involve using the integrated rate law; we deal with the differential rate law when we need to find reaction orders, etc.

Diego Zavala 2I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Diego Zavala 2I » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:27 pm

For our class most, if not all, problems will use the integrated rate law. The differential rate law is used to derive the integrated rate law

Return to “General Rate Laws”