Average rate of consumption

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kelly Kiremidjian 1C

Average rate of consumption

Postby Kelly Kiremidjian 1C » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:22 pm

When finding average rate of consumption of R, I know the equation is (- delta[R]/delta t) because the concentration of R would be decreasing during the reaction. But when stating the rate, is it always positive? Textbook question 15.3 part a has the rate of consumption of NO2 as a positive rate so I wasn't sure if rate is always expressed as a positive number.

Sungyoon_Baek_1A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Average rate of consumption

Postby Sungyoon_Baek_1A » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:26 pm

Rate will always be positive, rate will never be expressed as a negative number. As you said the equation for R is R = - delta[R]/delta t, but remember that R can also be expressed as R = +delta[P]/delta t. The negative when looking at the forwards rate is there to account for the smaller final reactant concentration than initial concentration (to make sure we have a positive rate). Using the second equation, since the concentration of products of increasing the final concentration is greater than the initial concentration (giving us a positive number) and therefore giving us a positive rate value.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 393 times

Re: Average rate of consumption

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:26 pm

I would use a positive value but specify whether it is being formed at that rate or being consumed at that rate.

Return to “General Rate Laws”