Tips for remembering rate laws

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

EmilyC_3D
Been upvoted: 2 times

Tips for remembering rate laws

Postby EmilyC_3D » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:53 pm

I was just wondering, does anyone have any tips for remembering the different rate laws and half-lives? I know that they're mostly on the equation sheet, but I was curious to see how other people were remembering which equations goes with which order.

JonathanM

Re: Tips for remembering rate laws

Postby JonathanM » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:39 pm

So this isn't the best advice ever but the way I remember it is that zero order equations have Ao terms in the numerator if they have them at all, first order equations have natural log terms (just remember that the .693/k equation is actually Ln(2)/k), and second order equations have Ao in the denominator. Also if I ever forget which half life equations are for what order, if you plug in Ao/2 for A and solve for t it gives you the half life equation. Hope this helps!

Michael Cardenas 3B

Postby Michael Cardenas 3B » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:01 pm

Thank you for this advice!!^

Katherine_Douglas_1F

Postby Katherine_Douglas_1F » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:34 pm

Kinda similar, but the zero-order one is the simplest with just [A] and 0 is (in my mind) the simplest number so that is how I remember that one. I remember the first order because the l in ln[A] is similar to a 1 as in the first order. And then the 1/[A] is just the second order by process of elimination. Another way to do it is to just remember the order on the equation sheet (1,2,0).

Return to “General Rate Laws”