Homework 8 - 10 Question 7

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Averie Moore 2F

Homework 8 - 10 Question 7

Postby Averie Moore 2F » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:33 pm

For the reaction 2 A(g) + 2 B(g) + C(g) --> 3 G(g) + 4 F(g) the initial rate data in the table was collected, where [A]o, [B]o, and [C]o are the initial concentrations of A, B, and C respectively.
The two sections I had questions about are calculating the rate constant, k, and determining the initial rate of the reaction when given values of [A]o, [B]o, and [C]o. I am not getting the correct values when plugging these into the calculator.

Re: Homework 8 - 10 Question 7

Postby 505968276 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:39 pm

Hi, the first step is determining the order of each of the three A,B,C. You do this by setting up a rate law with one of the experiments with the exponents on top as three different unknowns and then you divide by another rate law (putting variables for exponents again) from another experiment where the some of the concentrations are the same so they cancel out. And this should allow you to get what the orders for A,B,C are one at a time. Then you can use those to make your rate law and plug in everything in except K. I hope this isn't too confusing and it helps a bit.

Re: Homework 8 - 10 Question

Postby 705903057 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:41 am

For this question you will want to use this: k[A]^x[B]^y[C]^z

You’ll plug in the values from the table into the equation, for example (I’m not sure if you have the same numbers as me) 5.40=[12.0]^x[150]^y[280]^z

The first row would be labeled as l, second as ll and so on.

To find the order, first divide lV by l and you’ll find z. Next divide lll by ll, and you’ll find y. And then ll by l, and you’ll find x. Add the values of x, y, and z and you’ll get the overall order.

To find the rate constant, plug in the values from l into initial rate(from the table)/rate equation. My rate equation was Rate=k[A][B]^2 so initial rate/[A][B]^2

Hope this helps!

Return to “Method of Initial Rates (To Determine n and k)”