Homework Problems 17 and 19

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Uisa_Manumaleuna_3E

Homework Problems 17 and 19

Postby Uisa_Manumaleuna_3E » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:03 pm

Maybe I'm not reading the Course Reader correctly but I'm having a hard time figuring out the orders for each reactants just by looking at the initial concentrations and Initial rates given to us in the tables??? How do we know which two experiments to use when comparing the concentrations and trying to determine what orders the reactants are?

stephanieyang_3F

Re: Homework Problems 17 and 19

Postby stephanieyang_3F » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:31 pm

You generally want to compare the experiments where the concentration of only one reactant is changing at a time. In 15.17, you'll find that the order of [C] will be zero, which makes things much easier when you're trying to find the order of [A] and [B]. Like he mentioned in class, if you're having a hard time figuring out the numbers, all you have to do is divide one experiment by the other. For example, to find the order for [A], you divide experiment 2 and 4 because the only thing that is changing is the concentration of A and the initial rate. As [A] doubles from exp 4 to 2, the rate also doubles, and you'll find the order for [A] is one. I hope this makes sense!

Return to “Method of Initial Rates (To Determine n and k)”