k'

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

MHarrold_1E
Been upvoted: 2 times

k'

Postby MHarrold_1E » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:01 am

For a reaction with multiple reactants, will k' be the same for every reactant? How do we know what value of k' to use when finding k?

Aliya 1H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: k'

Postby Aliya 1H » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:41 am

I don't believe k' will be the same. If it's k' for [A] when the rxn is A + B + C --> P, for example, you use large [B] and [C] to find that particular k'. When you're finding k, I think it's just dependent on the reactants that actually affect the rate (aka 1st or 2nd order with respect to that reactant).

Mackenzie Fernandez 3G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Mackenzie Fernandez 3G » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:28 am

hi!

I think k' is only referring to the overall reaction and when there are multiple reactants. I am not quite sure if Lavelle reviewed how to find k from k' in lecture.
would appreciate someone explaining this!

Sharon Kim 2A

Postby Sharon Kim 2A » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:30 pm

I think when it says k', it is referring to when you had to manipulate the reactants to be in higher excess so that you can focus on the reactant that has a lower concentration. I believe you are able to obtain the value of k' from the slope after manipulating the reaction and getting the rate law. However, not too entirely sure because I haven't seen an example yet.

Yichen Fan 3A

Postby Yichen Fan 3A » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:20 pm

The k' will not be the same for each reactant. For a reaction A + B + C ---> P, if we are conducting an experiment with excess B and C, we can find the actual rate constant k using k = k'/([B]^m*[C]^l). If we are conducting an experiment with excess A and C, k = k'/([A]^n*[C]^l). Since the concentration of A, B, C and the order of reaction for each of them will probably be different, the k' we find will also be different for each reactant.

Eliana Carney 3E

Postby Eliana Carney 3E » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:34 pm

In a reaction with multiple reactants, k' won't be the same for each reactant. k' appears in the rate law when a reaction has been manipulated to have one reactant in a much lower concentration than the others. Therefor, when you manipulate the concentration of different reactants, k' will be different from one reactant to the next.

sophia kosturos 2B

Postby sophia kosturos 2B » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:40 am

k' will not be the same in a reaction with multiple reactants because it is manipulated in the rate law so that it is unique to the reactant at a lower concentration, therefore, k' will change when the concentrations are manipulated to represent a different reactant.

Claudia_Danysh_2B

Postby Claudia_Danysh_2B » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:49 pm

k' will not always be the same because it depends on information that you get from your data!

Sedge Greenlee

Postby Sedge Greenlee » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:03 pm

k' will be different for each reactant. This is because k' refers to the rate of one reactant in specific (the one that is not in excess) Remember that k can be found from k' through k'/([reactant in excess]^n * [other reactant in excess if applicable]^m)

Return to “Method of Initial Rates (To Determine n and k)”