determining order  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Uyenvy Nguyen 1D

determining order

Postby Uyenvy Nguyen 1D » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:09 am

Is it possible to determine the order of reactants by just looking at the given concentrations and initial rates in a table, without doing the rate law calculations? (ex: #7 on Sapling)

Aarushi Verma 2I

Re: determining order

Postby Aarushi Verma 2I » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:24 am

When you use the table to find the order, you essentially have to divide two experiments where one reactant is constant and the other is changing. You can look at the table and formulate the equation in your head to get it without having to write down everything. I find this helpful when the factor is obvious. I think you would still need to do the same process of dividing the rates , just in your head.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: determining order  [ENDORSED]

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:06 am

Uyenvy Nguyen 1D wrote:Is it possible to determine the order of reactants by just looking at the given concentrations and initial rates in a table, without doing the rate law calculations? (ex: #7 on Sapling)

Yes, when the numbers are straight forward to work out the ratios without calculations.

Libby Dillon - 1A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Libby Dillon - 1A » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:01 pm

In some examples, it will be possible to determine the rate of certain reactants without performing any calculations. Especially in cases with a first order reactant and relatively simple numbers, it may be clear to see. However, sometimes calculations will be necessary when dealing with some second order reactants and complicated numbers.

Lesly Lopez 3A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Lesly Lopez 3A » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:10 pm

According to the sapling question, when using a table to find the order, you practically divide two different experiments/trials where one reactant is constant and the other is changing. The change in the outcome of the reaction will show how each reactant affects or not affect each other.

Samudrala_Vaishnavi 3A

Postby Samudrala_Vaishnavi 3A » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:28 pm

It would be quite difficult to do that accurately since you don't know the magnitude of change that the concentrations of each reactant have on the initial rate law and it's only easy to tell whether or not the concentrations of the reactants have an effect on the initial rate law. Just divide the results of two experiments that show evidence of the concentration of the reactant changing and solve for the order that way, it's much quicker than estimating the changes.

YuditGaribay3J

Postby YuditGaribay3J » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:58 am

This should be possible. When looking at the data table, I look at the experiments and check for any patterns that I notice.

Jeremy Wei 2C

Postby Jeremy Wei 2C » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:28 am

Yes it's possible since you can look at patterns in the experiment table and see how the reaction rate changes as concentrations change, and from there you can determine the order.

Return to “Method of Initial Rates (To Determine n and k)”