textbook 7A #17

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kaylee Nezwek 1D
Been upvoted: 1 time

textbook 7A #17

Postby Kaylee Nezwek 1D » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:05 pm

hey! question #17 in 7A gives a series of experiments and asks to determine the rate law, the reaction order, and the rate constant. I determined the rate law to be rate = k [A] [B]^2 [C]^2, which was correct according to the solutions manual, but when I plugged in concentrations to get the rate constant, I got the wrong answer. For experiment #1, the concentrations were all 1.25, so I plugged this value into rate = k [1.25] [1.25]^2 [1.25]^2. does anyone know why this would give me the wrong answer/what values I should have used?

Giselle Granda 3F

Re: textbook 7A #17

Postby Giselle Granda 3F » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:43 pm

I also used the first experiment and was having the same issue, so since the units were in mmol per liter, I converted each to mol/L and it worked out for me. I am not sure why that is but it gave a different and correct answer. Hopefully that works for you!

Kaitlin Eblen 1I

Re: textbook 7A #17

Postby Kaitlin Eblen 1I » Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:39 pm

Kaylee Nezwek 1D wrote:hey! question #17 in 7A gives a series of experiments and asks to determine the rate law, the reaction order, and the rate constant. I determined the rate law to be rate = k [A] [B]^2 [C]^2, which was correct according to the solutions manual, but when I plugged in concentrations to get the rate constant, I got the wrong answer. For experiment #1, the concentrations were all 1.25, so I plugged this value into rate = k [1.25] [1.25]^2 [1.25]^2. does anyone know why this would give me the wrong answer/what values I should have used?

Your units for the the concentrations and A, B, and C as well as the rate are in mmol. So, you got the correct value but your units for k (likely L^4/ mmol^4*s) are different than the answer key's. I attached a picture but you need to convert k to L^4/mol*s.

I converted at the end but you can also convert all the concentration values and the initial rate to mol (rather than mmol) before solving for "k".
Attachments
Scannable Document on Mar 6, 2022 at 9_29_25 PM.png

Return to “Method of Initial Rates (To Determine n and k)”