Proper Units for the rate constant

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sean Phen

Proper Units for the rate constant

Postby Sean Phen » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:28 pm

How do you identify the proper units for the rat constant, k, for each reaction order?

Lea Baskin Monk 1F
Been upvoted: 4 times

Re: Proper Units for the rate constant

Postby Lea Baskin Monk 1F » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:46 pm

If I can't remember, I use the rate law to solve for the unit. For example, if the reaction is second order rate = k[reactant]^2. The unit for the reactant is M and the unit for rate is M/S (or any unit of time) so only way to cancel out the M^2 is for the unit of k to be 1/MS

Edgar Velazquez 2K

Postby Edgar Velazquez 2K » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:12 pm

Other than working through an equation to find the correct units, the easiest way is probably to just memorize them. Zero order units are M/s. First order units are 1/s. Second order units are 1/Ms.

Queena Chu 3E

Postby Queena Chu 3E » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:13 pm

I think the easiest way is to memorize them. We have only done 0-2 second order so it’s not a lot.

Alyson Chou 3H

Postby Alyson Chou 3H » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:06 pm

The units for the rate constant are determined by the overall order of the reaction. For zero order, the units are M/s. For first order, the units are 1/s. For second order, the units are 1/M*s.

AbenaaMensahBonsu2F

Postby AbenaaMensahBonsu2F » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:45 pm

Like other people have said, if I forget I use the units associated with the concentrations to find the k units. The k units have to cancel out the M valus so its left with reciprocal seconds. When in doubt, I just use that method.

Caitlin Beale 3E

Postby Caitlin Beale 3E » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:47 pm

The units of the rate constant, k, depend on the overall order of the reaction. The overall order of a reaction is the sum of the orders with respect to each reactant.

For a zero-order reaction, the rate is independent of the concentration of the reactant. Therefore, the units of k are given by the units of concentration per unit time, or M/s.

For a first-order reaction, the rate is proportional to the concentration of the reactant. Therefore, the units of k are given by the inverse of time, or 1/s.

For a second-order reaction, the rate is proportional to the square of the concentration of the reactant. Therefore, the units of k are given by the inverse of concentration times time, or 1/Ms.

Natalie Hurd 1H

Postby Natalie Hurd 1H » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:28 pm

To find units, I solve for k units so I do not have to memorize. The rate of a reaction is always M/s and the rate of each reactants is M. So using this you can solve for k. For example: rate = k[A]^2[B] -> M/s = k[M]^2[M] -> M/s = kM^3 -> k = 1/M^2*s

Freddie P-G 1H

Postby Freddie P-G 1H » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:39 pm

You can either remember it or solve for it mathematically:
Remember: Zero order= M S-1
First order: S-1
2nd order: M-1 S-1
3rd order: M-2 S-1 etc.

Or: Do rate / [X] (there could be more [] of other species) and solve via cancellation

Dashrit_Pandher_1J

Postby Dashrit_Pandher_1J » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:43 pm

For the most part the units of the rate constant remains the same within in each reaction order, but if you are ever confused, just solve the rate law for k only looking at the units. Since 0 order means the reactant has no effect on the rate, it makes sense that k and the rate have the same units. Also from the 2nd order and on, M in the denominator is raised to the power of the order minus 1. For example, for the 3rd order, k = 1/M^2 *s ; 3-1=2 which is the exponent M is raised to.

Anabelle Pham 2C

Postby Anabelle Pham 2C » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:48 pm

The units depend on the overall order of the reaction. So, for a zero-order reaction, it is M/s. For a first-order reaction, it is 1/s. For a second-order reaction, it is 1/Ms.

Return to “Zero Order Reactions”