achieve 7 reaction and order

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

April_Tello_2H

achieve 7 reaction and order

Postby April_Tello_2H » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:16 pm

"For the reaction 2A(g) + 2B(g) -> 3G(g) + 4F(g)
the initial rate data in the table was collected where [A]0, [B]0, and [C]0 are the initial concentrations of A, B, and C, respectively."

I need help doing the overall order of the reaction and so on down the problem. Can someone give me an example at what I am looking at or how to find the overall order of the reaction and how I can write the law for the reaction without numerical terms.

*ignore the attainments they have nothing to do with this, I just don't know how to get rid of them
Attachments
PH50A Midterm Exam Commonly Missed Questions Review.pptx
(289.78 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Chem14B_Outline5_Electrochem.pdf
(95.28 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Spencer T

Re: achieve 7 reaction and order

Postby Spencer T » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:34 pm

Once you have determined the order of each reactant, you can calculate the overall order of the reaction by summing the orders of each reactant.

Next, you can determine the rate law for the reaction by multiplying each reactant by the other raised to the power of each reactant's order, respectively.

To calculate the rate constant, choose one of the four experiments from the table and solve for the rate constant k.

Finally, utilize the value of the rate constant you calculated to calculate the initial rate for the reaction.

Hope this helps!
Last edited by Spencer T on Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RandyRich

Re: achieve 7 reaction and order

Postby RandyRich » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:41 pm

For this problem the approach is very stepwise. To begin, rate=k[A]^a[B]^b[C]^c is the standard rate equation. a, b, and c represent the order of the molecule. You want to observe the relationship between rate and [A]^a and so on to determine the order.

Something to the 0 order is easier to determine, because it has no effect on initial rate(given in the far right column). So when all the other quantities stay the same, for this problem A and B, but C changes, is there any difference in initial rate? Once you find the aspect which is to the 0 order you can ignore any change to their concentrations when doing math since it will be 1 and therefore have no effect on k or initial rate.

Moving on to 1st order, this is something directly proportional. If somethings concentration doubles with all others staying the same we would expect the initial rate to double as well.

For the 2nd order there is also proportionality but the relationship is to the 2nd power. If you double concentration you would expect the initial rate to more than double.

Once you find these relationships you plus the order number into the corresponding exponent a, b, or c. Anything to the ^0 is 1 so it does no have to be written and the ^1 is implied and does not have to be written out. The overall order is found by simply summing all of the individual orders, a+b+c = overall order.

After you have you basic rate equation, you can plug in you concentrations for one line of the table and the corresponding initial rate and solve for k.

initial rate = k[R][P]^2
If one line of the table R = 2, P=5, and initial rate = 10, then k=0.2. and its units would be 1/(M^2*s.)

Return to “First Order Reactions”