Determining Overall Reaction Rate

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Simone Seliger 1C

Determining Overall Reaction Rate

Postby Simone Seliger 1C » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:19 pm

When there are two of the same molecules as the reactants of a reaction, they are written [A][A], which equals [A]^2. This would make the reaction second-order. However, if there are 2 different molecules, the reaction would be [A]^1[B]^1. Does this make it an overall first-order reaction?

Beata_Vayngortin_3L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Determining Overall Reaction Rate

Postby Beata_Vayngortin_3L » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:48 pm

To determine the overall order of the reaction, you have to add the individual reaction rates so I believe this would make your overall reaction a second order reaction because A is first order and so is B in this example.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:24 pm

In the case of [A][B], the overall reaction is 2nd order because the sum of the exponents is 2. However, the reaction is 1st order in reagent A and 1st order in reagent B. In the case of [A]^2, the reaction is 2nd order overall and 2nd order in reagent A.

Samuel_Vydro_1I

Postby Samuel_Vydro_1I » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:22 pm

Such as when given a question regarding a table of values (COncentrations, Rates, Etc.) and you are asked to find the order of each substance and the overall order. It is important to remember to add the overall exponents at the end to find overall rate. Each individual order only relates to the specific reactant.

Return to “First Order Reactions”