Zero-order vs. First-order reaction graphs

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jessica Nunez 1I

Zero-order vs. First-order reaction graphs

Postby Jessica Nunez 1I » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:39 am

What is the difference between the zero-order reaction graph and the first-order reaction graph?

Gwyneth Huynh 1J

Re: Zero-order vs. First-order reaction graphs

Postby Gwyneth Huynh 1J » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:50 am

For a zero order reaction, the concentration of reactant does not affect the rate. The zero order integrated rate law is [A] = -kt + [A]initial. Therefore, a zero order reaction is usually graphed as [A] vs. time, which should be a straight line. If it isn't a straight line then it is not a zero order reaction. For first order reactions, the integrated rate law is ln[A] = -kt + ln[A]initial. In this case, a graph of ln[A] vs. time should create a straight line.

Silvino Jimenez 1A

Postby Silvino Jimenez 1A » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:36 am

Does this mean that both of the graphs ( Zero-order and First-order reactions) would be straight straight lines but that the only difference would be the labeling of the y-axis. [A] for Zero-Order and ln[A] on the y-axis of First Order reaction graph.

What exactly are the different axis implying?

Sophia Kim 1C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Sophia Kim 1C » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:04 pm

Graphically, zero order reactions have a linear line when the concentration is plotted against time while in first order reactions have a linear line when ln[A] is plotted against time. So when given a graph you can identify what order it may be.

Elizabeth Bamishaye 2I

Postby Elizabeth Bamishaye 2I » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:28 am

The main difference is the y-axis for both, which is [A] for zero order and ln[A] for the first order.

William Satyadi 2A

Postby William Satyadi 2A » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:04 pm

A zero order reaction graph is linear and has a negative slope when the y-axis is the concentration of the reactant, and a first order reaction graph is linear and has negative slope when the y-axis is ln [Reactant].

Return to “First Order Reactions”