half-lives of first order versus second order

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Shannon Wasley 2J
Been upvoted: 1 time

half-lives of first order versus second order

Postby Shannon Wasley 2J » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:10 pm

When a question asks "how much time will elapse in a first order reaction for the concentration of A to decrease to 1/8[A] (not), I plug in ln(1/8) = -kt + (ln(1)) and I seem to get the right answer every time. However, if it were a second-order reaction and I tried using the same method, for example, (1/(1/8)) = kt + (1/1), I don't get the correct answer. This question might be stupid, but why is this? I might just completely not understand the concept of natural log but I am confused.

Nicole Jacobs 1C

Re: half-lives of first order versus second order

Postby Nicole Jacobs 1C » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:21 pm

for ln(1/2) and ln(2/1), they give the same value, just one is negative and one is positive, if that helps

Juanyi Tan 2K

Postby Juanyi Tan 2K » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:58 pm

I am not 100% sure, but maybe you forget to include the initial concentration for second order reaction.

Seth_Evasco1L

Postby Seth_Evasco1L » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:13 pm

I believe you're able to use your method for the first order reaction because the half life equation doesn't involve the initial concentration of the reactant, so you could use any value for the initial concentration just as long as you have the concentration at time t=1/2 as 1/8 of that initial value.

However, for second order reactions, the half life equation does depend on the initial concentration, so the value you use in the initial concentration must be specific to the problem and cannot be generalized with [A]0 and a concentration of 1/8 [A]0.

Return to “First Order Reactions”