Pseudo First Order Reaction

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sarah Clemens 1B

Pseudo First Order Reaction

Postby Sarah Clemens 1B » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:39 pm

Can someone explain when we would need to use a pseudo first order reaction?

Max Mazo 2C

Re: Pseudo First Order Reaction

Postby Max Mazo 2C » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:15 pm

Expanding on this, what is a pseudo first order reaction?

Emily Oren 3C

Postby Emily Oren 3C » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:18 pm

We use pseudo first order reactions when we are studying a reaction with multiple reactants with concentrations that could affect the rate law. For example if the reaction in question is A+B-->P we would design an experiment to find out how the rate changes with the concentrations of each reactant. The rate law=k' * [A]^n * [B]^m. To find [A], the [B] is made very high so that it remains relatively constant and the [A] is varied. We can then analyze the data like we did earlier in the section in order to calculate n. If n is 1 then the reaction is pseudo first order. Since we do not know the order for B, it is only pseudo first order not first order. We can then repeat the process for the other reactants.

Lizzie Zhang 2C

Postby Lizzie Zhang 2C » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:19 pm

For example, if we have a equation telling us that rate of consumption of I- = k [S2O8 2-][I-]. Because the rate equation involves more than one species, it would be hard to analyze the change of rates. Then we can just set persulfate ions concentration really high, turning an actual second order reaction into a first order reaction. Then rate of consumption of I- equals to k'[I] while k' = k [S2O8 2-].

Now the reaction rate depends only on one species, and we can analyze one reactant at a time using pseudo first order reaction method.

Abby Ellstrom 1I

Postby Abby Ellstrom 1I » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:35 pm

You use a pseudo first order reaction when there is more than one reactant by making one of the reactant's concentrations very large so you can test the rate while manipulating the other reactant.

Victoria Draper 1G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Victoria Draper 1G » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:11 pm

A pseudo first order reaction is when a reaction is a second order reaction but is treated as though it is a first order reaction. This occurs when the concentrations of one of the reactants is so large and remains constant throughout the reaction that it does not play a significant role in the rate law. Therefore the new rate law can be written as Rate=k' * [A] where k' is equal to the value of k*[reactant that was present in excess] and [A] is the substance that still plays a relevant role in the overall rate of the reaction.

Nicole Jacobs 1C

Postby Nicole Jacobs 1C » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:47 pm

do we have to know how to apply a psuedo first order reaction or just understand it conceptually?

Cali Rauk1D

Postby Cali Rauk1D » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:02 pm

Basically a pseudo first order reaction is when you change a second order into a first order by taking away the intermediate. It makes it easier to solve

Return to “First Order Reactions”