First Order Reactions Graph

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Clarissa Cabil 1I

First Order Reactions Graph

Postby Clarissa Cabil 1I » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:39 pm

During lecture, Professor Lavelle mentioned how first order reactions produce straight line plots of ln[reactant] vs time with a slope that equals -k. However, he proceeded on with lecture and then mentioned how first order reactions produce exponential curves that are decreasing. Can someone explain the graph of first order reactions? Are they linear or decreasing curves?

JiangJC Dis2K

Re: First Order Reactions Graph

Postby JiangJC Dis2K » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:07 pm

The graph of ln[A] vs. time is linear for first order reactions, but the graph of [A] vs time is exponential decay, because e is applied to undo the ln. That is the difference between the two graphs but both of them are for first order reactions, the only difference is the two variables.

Kelsey Warren 1I

Postby Kelsey Warren 1I » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:12 pm

Both graphs really mean the same thing and can be about the exact same reaction, you're just plotting [A] vs time and then ln[A] vs time (which produces a linear graph from the exponential decay).

gwynlu1L

Postby gwynlu1L » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:22 am

pay attention to the y axis of a graph, since it can tell you what order rxn it is. but for the most part, associate ln[A] with first order rxns.

Return to “First Order Reactions”