Is there such a thing as a Third Order Reaction?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

JavierMelgoza2E

Is there such a thing as a Third Order Reaction?

Postby JavierMelgoza2E » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:08 pm

I was looking some videos up on youtube about zero, first, and second order reactions and they briefly mention a third and fourth order reaction. Is it possible that we will ever use this on our quiz and final?

Sophie_Ahmad_2F

Re: Is there such a thing as a Third Order Reaction?

Postby Sophie_Ahmad_2F » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:18 pm

He said we're just going to be tested up to page 73 in the course reader for the second quiz!

Sunny Chera 1N

Postby Sunny Chera 1N » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:29 pm

Does anyone know if we need to know all the details about activation energy, collision theory, and transition state theory for quiz #2? References to these topics were made in class, so I am not sure if I should spend time reading that portion of the text for now. Also the preparatory quiz in the Course reader has one question on enzymes and another question on activation energy. I just want to fully prepare myself with the material that is absolutely necessary for this quiz.

Alyssa_Wieand_2G

Postby Alyssa_Wieand_2G » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:34 pm

I believe we will just have to know zero, first, and second order reactions but the quiz will cover only kinetics up to page 73 in the course reader if that helps!

Gisselle Cervantes 2G

Postby Gisselle Cervantes 2G » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:37 pm

Yes, third order and fourth order reactions do exist. But in most chemistry classes the main focus is on first, second, and third order reactions.

YuniLee_1K

Postby YuniLee_1K » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:31 am

Gisselle, did you mean first, second, and zero order reactions? I don't think this course/lower division chemistry will cover 3rd order reactions.

Return to “Second Order Reactions”