Half life of second order reactions

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ethan-Van To Dis2L

Half life of second order reactions

Postby Ethan-Van To Dis2L » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:02 am

In the book, it says that we don't use the equation for a half-life for a second order reaction, but we still used it in one the exercises. Can someone explain why, it says "not used"

Emma Li 2C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Half life of second order reactions

Postby Emma Li 2C » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:23 pm

I was a little confused too seeing that in the table, but I just thought it meant that the book didn't use the half life equation for a second order reaction in one of their examples, or that they just didn't derive the equation for it like they did for the half life of a first order reaction.

Gevork 2E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Gevork 2E » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:37 am

Hello,

I remember reading this as well and I am pretty much going to ignore what it says. We have the equations and understand how a second order reaction occurs so I wouldn't stress about what the book says. Maybe it had to do with the publisher or authors not including them? Hard to tell for the reasoning.

Hope this was helpful

Jason Liu 1C

Postby Jason Liu 1C » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:42 am

I would still study the half life of second order reactions and understand how they work because it was on the homework and was on my test as well. I think it'd be a good idea to study it in case it's on the final.

Hailey Johnson

Postby Hailey Johnson » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:04 pm

Definitely ignore that in the book. It confused me too, but on the third test the equation for the half-life of a second order reaction was on the formula sheet, so we are expected to know how to use it.

DamianW

Postby DamianW » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:11 pm

Do any of you know if lavelle has ever asked us to derive a half life formula on a previous test ?

miznaakbar
Been upvoted: 4 times

Postby miznaakbar » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:02 pm

I'm not sure if they've asked to derive a half life formula before, but it would probably be best to know how to considering we spent time deriving formulas in the notes. Deriving the half life formula is also fairly simple when given the integrated rate law because you just plug in (1/2)[A] initial as the final [A] and rearrange the equation so it equals t. Hope this helps!

Meredith Steinberg 2E

Postby Meredith Steinberg 2E » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:58 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about deriving the half life of a second order process. If we ever needed to use the equation, we would need 2 of the 3 unknowns: k, initial concentration, or the half life.

Emily Mei 1B

Postby Emily Mei 1B » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:10 pm

Either way, I'm pretty sure the 2nd order half life equation is on the constants and equations sheets on our tests.

Return to “Second Order Reactions”