Slope =k

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Eden Breslauer-Friedman 2A

Slope =k

Postby Eden Breslauer-Friedman 2A » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:55 am

Is the reason that the slope=k for a second order reaction, and results in a positively sloping line when plotting 1/[A] vs time, because of the power of 2? I'm not sure if I'm interpreting this correctly.

Thanks!

Maaria Abdel-Moneim 2G

Re: Slope =k

Postby Maaria Abdel-Moneim 2G » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:25 pm

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question correctly but slope=k because if you look at the equation 1/[A]=kt+1/[A]o it matches the format of y=mx+b. In that equation m is the slope therefore k is the slope in the second-order integrated rate law.

Eden Breslauer-Friedman 2A

Postby Eden Breslauer-Friedman 2A » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:59 pm

Maaria Abdel-Moneim 2G wrote:I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question correctly but slope=k because if you look at the equation 1/[A]=kt+1/[A]o it matches the format of y=mx+b. In that equation m is the slope therefore k is the slope in the second-order integrated rate law.

I guess I'm asking why only for second order reactions slope=k, but first first and zero order reactions, slope=-k

Felicia Wei 1B

Postby Felicia Wei 1B » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:12 pm

Eden Breslauer-Friedman 2A wrote:
Maaria Abdel-Moneim 2G wrote:I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question correctly but slope=k because if you look at the equation 1/[A]=kt+1/[A]o it matches the format of y=mx+b. In that equation m is the slope therefore k is the slope in the second-order integrated rate law.

I guess I'm asking why only for second-order reactions slope=k, but first and zero-order reactions, slope=-k

This is just a result of how the equations are rearranged. if you look over how the equations are derived you see how second-order ends up positive.
This is because dr Lavelle left the - sign on the left so you have -∫d[A]/[A]2 the integral of this value is -[A]-1 so when it is multiplied it by -1 the sign cancels out. So there is no negative sign left anywhere on the equation. ∫kdt is simply kt+c so in the end you are left with just 1/[A] = kt + 1/[A]o

Jaden Kwon 3C

Postby Jaden Kwon 3C » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:38 pm

The slope of a second order reaction is k because the integrated form of the equation is 1/A = kt + 1/A (naught) which is pretty much the equation of a line which has the form y = mx + b where 1/A is y, mx is kt, and b is 1/A (naught). With y = mx + b, the slope is m and since m is k then we know the slope is k.

Return to “Second Order Reactions”