Achieve question 6

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Achieve question 6

Postby 306250289 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:14 pm

For the second part of this problem, it asks to find the maximum number of electrons that could be ejected from the metal (from the first part of the problem) by a burst of photons with the total energy of 2.14 x 10^-7 J. My work function that I found was 5.12 x 10^-19

I dont understand how to go about this problem since I dont know what it means by "total energy" and how thats different from regular energy. Which equation am I supposed to be plugging into?

sofiarips

Re: Achieve question 6

Postby sofiarips » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:22 pm

So total energy refers to all the energy in a stream of photons. So in there are 20 photons and they each have 5 J, the total energy would be 100 J.
The question is asking for the maximum number of electrons that can be ejected. So we assume the electrons are ejected with 0 kinetic energy. So, the work function of an electron should equal the energy of an incoming photon. If we take the total energy of a stream of photons and divide that by the work function, we get the maximum possible amount of electrons ejected. We make the assumption that the incoming photons in that stream have the exact energy of the work function.

Brian Tsai 1L

Re: Achieve question 6

Postby Brian Tsai 1L » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:26 pm

I am pretty sure the total energy refers to the Energy in the equation Energy = KE + ϕ. In this case, you already know the "total" energy as given in the problem. You would have to find how much photons are emitted using your work function. So, in this case, you would divide the total energy by the work function.

Return to “Einstein Equation”