Wavelength and KE

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Wavelength and KE

Postby 605379296 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:03 pm

How do we find wavelength when we're given the kinetic energy in Joules?

Adrianh72

Re: Wavelength and KE

Postby Adrianh72 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:12 pm

By using the DeBroglie and Kinetic Energy Equations, wavelength comes out equaling λ = h/√(2mE)

Eesha Chattopadhyay 2K

Postby Eesha Chattopadhyay 2K » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:25 pm

If you add the kinetic energy to the threshold energy, you get the energy per photon that's being used in this photoelectric experiment. From there you use E=hv and c=v(wavelength) to find the wavelength.

Asia Yamada 2B

Postby Asia Yamada 2B » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:12 pm

From the Kinetic Energy equation, you can isolate velocity and then substitute it into De Broglie's equation. This will give you: λ = h/√(2mKE). To solve for the wavelength, you can then plug in the value that you’re given for kinetic energy along with Planck’s constant and the mass of an electron which is 9.11x10^-31 kg.

Kamille Kibria 2A

Postby Kamille Kibria 2A » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:20 am

there are two ways to solve this. i would use the equation KE+threshold energy=energy of the photon. the threshold energy can also be called the work function of a certain metal, which has to be given to you. from there you get the energy of the photon, which is when you can use the equation Ephoton=hv where you will get the frequency, and then plug the frequency into the equation wavelength=c/v and you will get the wavelength.

the other way you could find the wavelength from the KE is by using the equation KE=(1/2)mv^2 and solving for v. (the m is mass of electron which is 9.11E-31kg which is given to you). after you get v you can plug that into De Broglie's equation which is wavelength = h/mv where h is planck's constant. hope that helps :)

RitaThomas_3G

Postby RitaThomas_3G » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:47 pm

Hey! So when I would be solving a problem like this, I would initially start out with what I am solving for, which is wavelength. So, I would start with this equation: .
Then, after looking at the equation, I see what values I already have. I know that h is Planck's constant, and m can be solved for given whatever molecule/particle the question is referring to. The only issue now is v. However, since we know that we are given Kinetic Energy, we can use that equation to solve for v.
Then, you can just plug this equation into the first equation to get this final equation for wavelength:

Return to “Einstein Equation”